Eighty years ago, 6-year-old Dorinda Makanaonalani Nicholson sat down to a Sunday morning breakfast at home on Hawaii’s Pan American air base when the walls began to shake.
It was Dec. 7, 1941, and planes were flying low overhead.
She remembers her dad, a civilian, remarking how strange it was for the Army and Navy to engage in practice flights on a Sunday. They ran outside and saw Japanese torpedo bombers skimming the tops of trees along Pearl Harbor.
“I could see the pilots. They were that low and close,” Nicholson, 86, told USA TODAY. “I didn’t know at the time they were torpedo planes.”
Subscribe below to be notified when we post new content. You’ll receive an email asking to verify your request. Once that is done, you’re all set. Welcome to Moteventure!
NEWS STORIES & LINKS THAT ARE HELPFUL, INSIGHTFUL, INFORMATIVE, AND (HOPEFULLY) ENJOYABLE TOO.
IMAGE CREDIT: MARTHASTEWART.COM
IMAGE CREDIT: Simone Joyner, Louis Browne, Marco Bertorello, Dimitrios Kambouris, Jason Koerner, Joseph Okpako, Rich Fur (BILLBOARD)
IMAGE CREDIT: UNSPLASH
IMAGE CREDIT: KOMANDO.COM
IMAGE CREDIT: WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
IMAGE CREDIT: FITWIRR
IMAGE CREDIT: EMERSON MILLER / VIACOMCBS
IMAGE CREDIT: MOTEVENTURE
IMAGE CREDIT: USA TODAY
BOOKS – #1 NYT BESTSELLER (hardcover FICTION) – GO TELL THE BEES THAT I AM GONE BY DIANA GABALDON | goodreads
IMAGE CREDIT: doubleday books
CURRENTLY # 1 ON OTHER CHARTS (Updated 12/06/2021):
- # 1 Broadcast TV – “NBC Sunday Night Football” (NBC)
- # 1 Streaming TV – “You” (Netflix)
- # 1 Steaming Movie – “The Harder They Fall” (Netflix)
- # 1 Acquired TV – “Cocomelon” (Netflix)
- # 1 Cable – “NFL Regular Season” (NY Giants/Tampa Bay) (ESPN)
- # 1 Syndication – “ESPN NFL Regular Season” (ESPN)
- # 1 Video Game – “Halo: Infinite”
- # 1 Movie – “Encanto”
- # 1 Single (Billboard) – “Easy on Me” by Adele
- # 1 Album (Billboard) – “30” by Adele
- # 1 AP College Football – Alabama
With the Christmas season upon us, we continue to revisit last year’s “Uncommon” Christmas Song list featuring tunes we don’t hear 100 times a day (“A Marshmallow World” anyone?). To see today’s artist, just slide the slider on the image below…and then click the link below the images.
CHECK OUT PAST BLOG ENTRIES BELOW FOR MORE GREAT ARTICLES AND INFORMATION: